Golden Week 2023 in China
During September 29 and October 6, most business and factories in China will be closed. The week-long holiday in one of the world’s most important economies poses an impact to the international supply chain. Start to prepare now to minimize the possible disruptions.What is Golden Week?
Golden Week is a 7-day or 8-day national holiday in China. Every year the Chinese celebrate the establishment of the People’s Republic of China on October 1. This year, Mid-Autumn Festival falls on September 29 and will combine with National Day Golden Week for a long, 8-day holiday from September 29 to October 6. Traditionally, Chinese people used to take the opportunity to travel for leisure and visit their families in other parts of China.
DACHSER in China, like many other businesses, will be closed during the Golden Week and resume normal operations on October 7.What will happen during Golden Week?
Most businesses and factories will be closed during the week-long holiday, meaning that production will be at halt. Airports and seaports will keep operating but with reduced manpower due to low production volume from factories. Normally government institutions such as customs offices will be closed from October 1 – 3.
Since China, one of the world’s biggest economies and production countries, will come to a standstill for a whole week and factories may not run at full capacity as soon as the official holiday ends, the plunge of production volume would have an impact to the worldwide supply chain.How to minimize the impact of Golden Week?
While we try our best to minimize any possible interruptions to your supply chain, you can also help us by considering the following:
- Communicate with your suppliers and customers to make arrangements for sufficient stock and manage expectations
- Discuss your planning with us and prepare an accurate shipment forecast for long-term planning, so we can offer you the most suitable solution that fits your budget and schedule
- Place your booking earlier and pay attention to the cut-off dates.
- For sea freight, it is recommended to book 4-6 weeks before the start of holiday
- For air freight, it is recommended to book 1-2 weeks before the start of holiday
If you have any questions, please get in touch with your usual local DACHSER contact who will be happy to assist and plan the next steps with you together.