COVID-19 update: Impact on DACHSER’s operations in India
Due to the outbreak of second wave of Coronavirus, we would like to give you an update about the impact on DACHSER’s operations in India. The situation as of today, April 28, 2021, is as follow:
DACHSER branches in India
- Most branch offices across India are being kept closed as a precautionary measure due to the sudden rise of COVID cases. Our teams are working from home, with only skeletal staff at the offices and hence there are likely to be delays in responses due to the ongoing crisis.
- As a consequence of the lockdown, there are some operational impacts for air, sea, customs clearance and domestic trucking.
- Most countries have barred passenger traffic from India leading to no passenger carrying flights operating on International routes from/to India.
- This has created some additional constraint on already stressed space availability situation.
- Rates are bound to inch upwards for all sectors.
- Transit times too have increased as a consequence of capacity crunch.
- Sea freight was already facing the challenges due to the Suez Canal blockage end of March.
- Ports and terminals are functioning normally, but vessel schedules are impacted on account of the Suez Canal blockage as well as the sudden rise of COVID cases in India.
- Delays, roll overs are expected. Customers are advised to factor in delays of 1-2 weeks while planning their inventories.
- Expect more delays in communication or operations due to increasing COVID infections among staff at ports, customs, CFS and shipping lines.
- We do not have any unexpected disruptions in cargo movement in India, nor is any work stoppage expected at present.
- Customs clearance activities are functional at the movement.
- Customs is working with less manpower, no Customs Brokers is allowed to meet the customs officials, all processes is done faceless and things are moving in slow phase.
At DACHSER, we have undertaken significant measures to ensure our employees’ health and safety, at the same time continue to manage our day-to-day operations with minimal impact to our customers’ supply chains. Our teams are working diligently by all possible means in these testing times to assist and to overcome the challenges being faced.
Please rest assured that we will keep you updated of any changes to the current situation. hould you have any concerns and/or queries, please feel free to contact your local DACHSER representative in the region.